Stop Your Headache or Migraine From Ruining Your Day With These Self Massage or Pressure Point Therapy Techniques
Chances are if you are like most Americans you have suffered a headache or migraine recently, as a matter of fact when it comes to the rate of chronic headaches in America, studies have shown that roughly 45 million Americans suffer from them each year.
Of course being a massage therapist, I would suggest that seeking the service of a professional massage to help you not only treat the headache but to help you understand why, you may be suffering from them to begin with.
According to the statistics men suffer slightly more than females, 25 million men on average, while female average about 20 million who suffer from chronic headaches. This represents roughly 1 out of every 6 Americans. Here are some more startling statistics that might be alarming to you.
Headache statistics according to the American Headache Society:
- Every 10 seconds, someone in the United States goes to the emergency room with a headache or migraine.
- More than $1 billion is spent on over-the-counter medications to treat headaches and Migraines.
- The lost work due to migraine disease costs more than $13 billion every year in the U.S
- Chronic headaches occur more than 15 times per month.
- Tension headaches are definitely the most common, with roughly 69 percent of all males experiencing problems with them as well as 88 percent of all females.
Self Massage Techniques For Migraines and Severe Headaches:
- Most Important: Drink plenty of water before and after doing these massage techniques.
- Take your thumbs and press them firmly into the bridge of your nose, just underneath your forehead. Direction of pressure is in towards one another and up towards your head. The pressure is firm but not causing pain. Hold for 7 – 10 seconds, breathy deeply. Repeat 2 -4 times
- Take your thumbs and now place them just underneath your forehead, just below your eye-brows. But this time you will press firmly upwards towards your forehead, again not causing pain but utilizing firm steady pressure. Taking deep breathes while holding this pressure. Hold for 7 – 10 seconds and repeat if necessary.
- Take both hands and pinch or pull your skin tissue just below you eyebrows and hold. Direction of and pressure of pinch is away from face and pressure is firm, with a hold of about 5 -7 seconds and repeat.
- Take your thumbs or your middle 3 fingers and press them firmly into the sides of your temple. You can add a slight circular motion here as well, this is very effective. Hold for 7 – 10 seconds using form but steady pressure.
- Sinus suffers can press into the sides of their nose and move fingers firmly away from their nose towards their cheekbones. Working both sides at once and working multiple points along the ridge of your nose. Direction of pressure is in towards your face and moving away towards your cheekbones.
- Bonus Tip: If you have a foam roller or something that is hard plastic protected with some padding, the goal here is to get something that you can put behind your head and lay the back of your head on just underneath your skull (sub occipital area). With the foam roller lay on it long ways and place the edge of the foam roller just below, your skull and hold.
What Triggers Migraines and Headaches:
The interesting fact here is that, 85% of migraine sufferers say that they could pinpoint the triggers that caused the migraine. These include weather (up to 50%), missing a meal (40%), stress (about 50%), alcohol (50%) and various types of food (45%). About 50% of women report menses as a trigger. A recent study showed that over 50% considered crying to be a trigger.
So when you feel these triggers come on try these self massage techniques, I have tried these techniques with great results; most times headaches disappear almost immediately. If you have any other techniques share them here, thank you. And if you should want to seek the services of a professional massage therapist and get a deeper understanding of why you might suffering from these headaches call us at 408 247-1169 our rates are listed below.
- 60 min session = $90
- 75 min. session = $105 (recommended length)
- 90 min. session = $130 (recommended length)
- 120 min. session = $180