A Swedish Massage Can Improve Your Emotional Well-being, Help Your Sleep Better And Boost Your Immune System!
A recent study published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine examined the effects of one session of Swedish massage therapy—a form of massage using long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration, and tapping—on the body’s hormonal response and immune function. These preliminary data led the researchers to conclude that a single session of Swedish massage produces measurable biological effects and may have an effect on the immune system.
Many people are no doubt very familiar with the name of this particular type of massage, but many people would likely be at great pains to explain the differences between Swedish massage and other kinds of massage. A Swedish massage is relaxing massage and we categorized this massage under our “Relaxation massage”.
There are many Swedish massage techniques that are used during this session (i.e. reflexology and hot stones). And only trained and licensed massage therapists are allowed to legitimately perform a massage of this sort. What you feel from a Swedish massage will vary, based on either the approach of the massage therapist or even what the client wants to accomplish during their session. A Swedish massage can feel bracing and vigorous, or it can feel gentle and relaxing.
When deciding to choose a Swedish massage, you should ask yourself, “Am I looking for stress relief and relaxation or do I have a specific pain problem that I want worked on?” In which case you probably want to book a sports therapy or clinical massage.
Swedish Massage Techniques and Benefits
A massage of this type is defined by certain strokes that the massage therapist will use, not to mention a distinct style. In all massages of this type, the therapist is going to begin by first lubricating your skin with some massage lotion not an oil; then, he or she will get to work on your skin.
The reason why we lotions or cremes versus oil its because oils are too slippery and provide no traction or grip on the muscle tissues. Its our opinion that massage lotions and cremes provide a better massage experience. But if you have a special oil or lotion bring it in and we will use it for your massage.
The strokes the massage therapist will use are meant to both warm up and then work your tissues of your muscles. In addition, the strokes will also release tension from your muscles and also break up the knots within your muscles.
Swedish Massage Techniques:
- Effleurage, during this technique your therapist will use long, sweeping strokes over the entire body instead of focusing on just one area. An effleurage usually starts and then ends a Swedish massage session.
- Petrissage, this technique is the art of squeezing and kneading of your muscle tissues between the thumb and the fingertips. This technique works deeper into muscles helping them to relax and works out the “knots!”
- Friction technique is a circular stroke or a series of short strokes that generate heat go with the lines of the muscle fiber or against them to break up adhesions in the muscle tissue.
- Percussion stroke or technique is nothing more than hacking, which is when the therapist “chops” your muscles with the edges of their hands.
- Stretching, as the name implies, is when massage therapists manipulates either your legs or your arms into various positions to increase length and make your muscles more responsive to stretching.
Swedish Massage Benefits
There are many benefits to a Swedish massage, which is why is it really popular. As it stands, Swedish massage comes with benefits for both your physical body and for your emotional well-being.
In terms of physical benefits, a massage of this type can undo knots in your muscles, decrease pain in your body, and increase blood circulation, lymph and metabolic wastes from your muscle tissues. As for the mental benefits, Swedish massage can relax your mind and de-stress you, thereby allowing you to get into better psychological moods.
If you are feeling run down and at the brink of depression a Swedish massage is the perfect remedy. There is stress all around us everyday and how your body handles this stress is what makes the difference between poor health and longevity. Another important benefit of a Swedish massage is its ability to help you sleep better are night. With sleep your mind will be able to rest and your immune system will be able to work to heal your stressed muscle tissues.